My second favorite season, fall is almost upon us. Do, I hear some Nays? My skincare preparations begins in September right along with my closet preparation. Our skin is precious, and therefore, needs a lot of TLC for a smooth, seasonal transition. If your skin is anything like mine, during these months, it peels and sometimes becomes unevenly toned. Though it’s temporary, it can be irritable and bothersome. The key is to be proactive, and take preventative measures rather than waiting to deal with a cure.
Here are 5 simple tips to ready and manage your skin for the cool and cold months ahead.
1. Facials are great for transitioning your skin for the winter months. They are perfect for deep cleansing, and helps skin that’s been riddled by sweat, chlorine water, salt water, drinking cocktails, makeup, oil, dirt etc. If you live in a tropical climate, frequent facials helps to get rid of the build up for cleaner, healthier looking skin.
2. Limit hot showers. Showers should be kept lukewarm and short. Hot showers are the main culprit for ashy, dry and flaky skin. Also, you should switch to a creme and or oil based body wash, which will restore and moisturize your skin.
3. Moisturize with lotions that contain shea or cocoa butter, and essential oils, which will retain moisture in the skin. Examples include, joboba, coconut and avocado oil.
4. Don’t let your skin go thirsty. Rehydrate by drinking lots of water. Water transports nutrients to all the cells of your body, and gets rid of toxic build up. You’ll experience healthier, more radiant skin.
5. This one is a biggie for a lot of folks regardless of weather it’s cold or hot. Avoid biting, pinching, picking and excessively licking your lips. I know that’s a difficult one. And, as a lip licker myself, I totally understand. But, here is why you should stop. Water evaporates from our lips much like it does the rest of our body. Excessive licking causes lips to become dehydrated, and as a result cracked and chapped. Furthermore, our lips are made up of very thin skin so, biting and picking can leave openings, which can lead to bacterial infection, and even more unattractive lips. So, for lips that are smooth and sweet like sugar, exfoliate once or twice a week.
DIY by mixing a pinch of brown sugar and a few drops of olive oil. Apply to lips, rub lips together gently (you can also a clean finger or a soft toothbrush) and wash with warm water. After, you can dab a few drops of the same olive oil on you lips and rub them together. Viola!! Lips like sugar!!
How do you ready your skin for the winter months? We’d love to hear. Leave us a comment below.