Behind every great head of a hair is a great hairstylist, and the man behind many of the world’s most glamorous locks is Andrew Fitzsimons. Now, the in-demand celebrity hairstylist shares his magic touch to ponying up.
Here’s how to master the look.
1. Before you hit your hair with any type of heat, it’s important to apply heat protection. It helps keep your hair healthy, enables you to style it easier, and leaves your strands shiny and moisturized. My go-to is the TIGI Copyright Heat Protection Spray. It’s lightweight but provides all the benefits you need.
2. Start off by first giving yourself a smooth, foundational blowout, drying the hair in the direction the ponytail will go. You want to really put the effort into the prep because that’ll “guide” your hair to respond the right way when you start building the final look. Depending on the type of pony you’re going for, you’re going to need either a blowout lotion or gel. Try NatureLab TOKYO Smooth Blowout Lotion, or TIGI Copyright Custom Complete Maximum Hold Hairspray.If you’re opting for a messy high pony vibe, then no product is needed.
3. Optional, but sometimes needed are extensions. Add fullness to your pony by incorporating some clip-in extensions to the look. Shampoo the extensions, but don’t condition them, as this will create more grip. Use five to 10 wefts on shorter hair if the goal is to add length. Use three wefts to simply add fullness to already-long hair. One of my favorite brands to use is BeautyWorks, which has extensions in a variety of colors, lengths, and textures. Pro tip: Don’t place the extensions where the ponytail will land—it adds unwanted volume in areas that can also be a bit painful.
4. Gathering your hair may be a bit of a difficult task, so I recommend flipping the hair over and brushing toward the crown. You’ll need a sturdy brush to do the job—I like using the Primark x Andrew Fitzsimons Paddle Brush.
5. Before securing into place, make sure the placement of the ponytail is exactly where you’d like it to be. Use one hand to hold the position and the other to apply product, smoothing the strands where needed.
6. Secure that pony in place. The key to this style is to find the right ponytail holder that’ll leave your hair snatched all night. You can use a conventional hair tie, but I prefer to use a hair bungee with hooks at the end because it has the best grip and won’t pull strands or break in the middle of the night.
7. Add the finishing touches to the look. Smooth out any flyaways at the base and style the pony as you see fit. Curl the ends if you’re looking for that super cute 90’s flip, or leave it straight and long for runway-ready locks.
With more than 15 years of experience as a hairstylist, Andrew Fitzsimons is on speed-dial for everyone from the entire Kardashian clan to supermodel heavyweights like Joan Smalls, Ashley Graham, Karlie Kloss, and Bella Hadid.
Follow Andrew on Instagram!
LIVE YOUR MOST BELLA LIFE!
BELLA Magazine is a national subscription- and newsstand-based lifestyle publication offering a curated guide to fashion, beauty, health, philanthropy, arts and culture, cuisine, celebrities, and entertainment.
At BELLA, we spotlight the ideal that Beauty is Defined by You!
Don’t miss a beat! Subscribe + #follow @bellamag.co!