Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, which means it’s time to stock up on tequila, tacos, and everyone’s favorite, avocados. With avocado toast trending nationwide, it’s no surprise that restaurants are catering to avo-loving people and upping the ante with avocado inspired recipes. Luckily, Cinco de Mayo is the perfect occasion to get your Mexican food fix and the East Village’s Avenida Cantina knows how to help. On May 5th at the restaurant guests can reserve a table with a $40 Cinco de Mayo prix fixe menu, which includes an appetizer, entree and unlimited Mexican beers or house margaritas for 2.5 hours. Plus, a mariachi band will be winding their way around the tables performing for guests. However, if going out on Cinco de Mayo is a bit too overwhelming for you, Avenida Cantina has a recipe that will make your at-home celebrations even better. Behold, the Fried Stuffed Avocado:
Avenida Cantina Fried Stuffed Avocado
1 ripe fresh avocado
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Cheese, ground beef, pulled chicken, pico de gallo, sour cream, as desired
1. Cut the avocado down the middle, remove the pit, and peel.
2. Put the avocado together and roll it in flour to completely coat.
3. Dunk avocado in buttermilk.
4. Now roll avocado in breadcrumbs and cover completely.
5. Place avocado in the 350 degree fryer for about 1 to 1.5 minutes until golden brown.
6. Half avocado and add cheese or queso with your choice of seasoned ground beef or salsa verde-braised pulled chicken.
7. Top with pico de gallo or (optional) sour cream.