Quick: Pick your passion…wine or cupcakes? When it comes to the finer things in life sometimes you have to decide between the two. Or maybe not. Here’s a rather amazing way you can have your cake and eat it too. These incredible cupcakes are made with STLTO Merlot ($10) and you might want to whip up a batch for Valentine’s Day. With notes of mocha, plum, and hints of violet, STLTO Merlot is a terrific wine to enjoy throughout a meal and it’s also delicious when enjoyed with desserts made with medium and dark chocolate. If you want to sink your teeth into something divine, here’s the recipe.
MARVELOUS STLTO MERLOT CUPCAKES:
(Servings: 6. Double everything including cook time if you need a full dozen):
• 1 stick Salted butter
• 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
• 1/2 cup STLTO Merlot
• 1 cups granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 3/4 tsp vanilla
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cups chocolate chips (mix of milk and dark chocolate)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and allow to turn golden brown.
3. Add the STLTO Merlot, the sugar, and the cocoa. Whisk until smooth.
4. Let come to room temperature and then whisk in the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream.
5. Mix the dry ingredients and fold in gently.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips and spoon into cupcake liners (this mixture doesn’t rise so feel free to fill cups completely).
7. Bake for 30 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let cool completely before icing
Chocolate STLTO Merlot Icing
· 2 3/4 Cups confectioners sugar
· 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
· 6 Tablespoons butter
· 5 Tablespoons STLTO Merlot
Cream butter and slowly add the confectioners sugar. Then add the cocoa powder alternating one tablespoon at a time with the STLTO Merlot. Incorporate until the mixture is nice and fluffy. Make sure cupcakes are completely cooled, and then using a frosting tip and piping bag, pipe frosting onto the cupcakes.