Two of the most influential, award-winning women in the spirits industry are Lynnette Marrero and Ivy Mix.
Lynnette, is the Bar Director of Brooklyn’s The Llama Inn and Greenwich Village’s Llama San, since opening the hotspots in 2015. Her Mixology class launched on Masterclass.com in March 2020. In 2021, Marrero was awarded the coveted Altos Bartender’s Bartender award from The World’s 50 Best Bars.
Ivy, is the Co-founder and Head Bar tender of the Brooklyn bar, Leyenda. In Spring 2020, Ivy published her first cocktail book, Spirits of Latin America, which was named one of Esquire’s “Best Cocktail Books of 2020” and awarded Tales of the Cocktail 2021 Spirited Award for Best New Book on Drinks Culture, History, or Spirits for Spirits of Latin America.
These are just a few accolades the women have gained over the years. In 2011, the duo formed Speed Rack, the all-womxn+, high-speed bartending competition that has raised more than $1.25 million for breast cancer research.
In honour of Women’s History, here are three cocktails curated by Lynette and Ivy that celebrate influential women:
Harmony with Nature, created by Lynnette Marrerro
Inspired by Dr. Jane Goodall, primatologist and anthropologist.
- 1 ½ oz Zacapa Rum (honoring Master blender Lorena Vasquez)
- ½ oz Banana liqueur
- 1 oz Lemon juice
- ½ oz Coconut green tea syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Banana leaf wrapped rocks glass
- In a shaker add banana liqueur, lemon juice, coconut green tea syrup, a pinch of salt and Zacapa Rum.
- Add 3 ice cubes to the shaker.
- Add the banana leaf to the rocks glass, add cubes or crushed ice.
- Shake your cocktail to mix approximately 30 seconds.
- Strain your cocktail into the prepared double Old-Fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a banana leaf and dried pineapple flower.
Flor de Cereza, created by Ivy Mix
Inspired by Julie Reiner’s Modern Classic — Gin Blossom. An influential woman in both Lynette and Ivy’s professional life. Lynette’s career began when she accepted a job at NYC’s Flatiron Lounge alongside Julie. Julie is also the co-founder of Leyenda with Ivy.
- 1 ½ oz Capurro Pisco Acholado (female owned!)
- 1 oz Lo Fi Dry Vermouth
- ½ oz Carpano Bianco Vermouth
- 1 tsp Luxardo Marashino
- 2 dashes Hella orange bitters
- Stir, strain into a nick and nora.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
Glitter Revolution, created by Lynnette Marrerro
In honor the women of Mexico City’s “revolución diamantina,” or glitter revolution. In summer of 2019, thousands of women took to the streets to protest sexual violence against women, spurred by the horrific assault of a teen girl by Mexican police. The protest movement got its name when women showered CDMX’s security chief with pink glitter at their inaugural demonstration on August 12.
- 1 ½ ounces blended Scotch
- ½ oz Mezcal (Dona Vega Mezcal)
- ¼ once Chile-Cinnamon Syrup (recipe follows)
- 2 dashes Bittermens Mole bitters
- 1 teaspoon edible glitter (optional but recommended!)
- Orange peel
- Ground chile pepper, for garnish
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish
- Combine the Mezcal, Scotch, Chili-cinnamon syrup, bitters, and glitter in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a double Old-Fashioned glass and express the orange peel over the cocktail and rim of the glass, then discard the orange peel.
- Garnish with the chile pepper, then hold one end of the cinnamon stick over a flame until it smokes.
- Place the cinnamon stick (smoking end up) in the drink and serve.
Makes about ¾ cup:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 1 dried chile de árbol, cut into pieces
- 2 slices jalapeño
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Combine the sugar, water, and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes, just until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 4 hours. In the last 30 minutes, add the chile de árbol, jalapeño, and cayenne and stir. When at your desired heat level, strain the syrup, discard the solids, and store the syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.