It started in 2012, with a question asked by an eleven year-old. Annie Bartosz asked her mom why everyone knew that pink and October were the color and month for breast cancer awareness, but no one knew that gold and September were for childhood cancer awareness. Her mom didn’t have an answer, and Gold in September™ was born.
Don’t miss a beat! Click HERE to become a BELLA Insider!
Bartosz created Gold in September™ after watching her twin brother, Jack, battle cancer for seven years. With Jack’s passing at the age of ten, Bartosz turned her grief into action. She became determined to turn the world gold in September, with gold and September being the nationally recognized color and month for childhood cancer awareness.
Childhood cancer statistics are staggeringly powerful, including the following:
- Every day, approximately 42 children are diagnosed with cancer before age 20. That’s more than a classroom of kids per day!
- Although advances in treatment have increased, the overall 5-year survival rate for childhood cancer is 80%. Pediatric cancer remains the leading cause of death by disease in children.
- The incidence of invasive cancer in children has increased by 29% in the last 20 years and incrementally increases with each passing year.
- Childhood cancer does not discriminate, sparing no ethnic group, socio-economic class or geographic region.
- Approximately 20 percent of all children with cancer will die from their disease, a secondary cancer, or complications from treatment within 5 years of diagnosis.
- Even more, 60% of children who survive cancer suffer late-effects, such as infertility, heart failure and secondary cancers.
The Gold in September™ mission is powerful in its simplicity – to raise awareness, create hope, find cures and defeat cancer. G9 supports every child everywhere by uniting all the foundations, organizations, hospitals and people wanting to make a difference.
Gold in September has supporters nation-wide to help raise awareness of childhood cancer. Green Bay Packers’ quarterback, Aaron Rogers, supports their mission and spent a day with Annie during the “It’s Aaron” campaign. Monday night Football Analyst, Trent Dilfer, actress, Olivia Munn, singer, Lance Bass, of NSYNC, Sporstcaster, Brian Anderson, former Olympians, and many other professional athletes/celebrities have joined forces with Gold in September to turn the world GOLD in September.
With the help of their supporters, Gold in September will be raising childhood cancer awareness throughout the month of September. The following is a list of activities lined up for September 2015:
- Delivering My Amazing Monster children’s books to kids in oncology centers at numerous hospitals throughout the country.
- Golden Celebration of Hope – An event on September 25th, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, featuring Packers from the first championship game. Funds raised during the event will benefit children battling cancer.
- Running a star-studded social media campaign featuring athletes and celebrities across the nation who support Gold in September.
- Encouraging schools locally and nationally to wear GOLD during sporting events.
- Airing radio PSAs throughout the country.
“I believe my brother would be proud of me, and though he may not be by my side, he will be in my heart forever. I believe in Gold in September™,” says Annie.
For more information about Gold in September™, visit www.goldinseptember.com. For more information about this story opportunity or to schedule an interview, please contact Chellee Sieweert at Capture Marketing at Chellee@capturemarketingllc.com or 262-696-5177.