There are still several weeks before the fall kicks in and that means plenty of “event-full” happenings to celebrate outdoors. Whether it’s a wedding, anniversary, birthday bash, back-to-school jam, all-white party or buzzing block party, finding ways to stay cool while turning up is always a welcomed invitation. We had a chance to catch up with teenage fashion sensation Erwin Portis, Jr (aka Jimmy Burner) out of Houston to get some chilled fashion advice.
What are a few of the hottest summer trends that are out there now?
Floral designs, print designs, zippers, and lightning bolts. I love wearing simple things with crazy designs and crazy fabrics; it makes simple things look so good.
Are there best fabrics that facilitate the body from overheating or “getting too hot”?
Light cotton, mesh
This time of year, we attend so many events from outdoor cookouts, to college reunions, yet many still struggle with one question—what on earth am I going to wear?
As a millennial fashion designer and buff, what goes through your mind when you’re invited to attend an outdoor event? Personally, I’m always down to rock a long mesh tee with some cotton shorts and vans. It’s so cool because the holes constantly filter air on your body.
What are five (5) ways to fashionably keep cool when attending outdoor events?
- Always rock the shorts, either denim or cotton. Of course, it depends on the type of event. If it’s more formal, you may consider a classic linen or linen blend.
- You can’t go wrong with comfortable shoes. I prefer a low-top loafer and with no socks. It feels so good, and your feet will thank you at the end of the night!
- Mesh fabric always keeps you cool regardless of the weather outside because the holes constantly allow air to flow through without restriction.
- Try out the “BIG tank” especially if you are at a pool party or backyard cookout. It has deep cuts on each side of the garment. It’s like an extended tank top with longer length. The ladies can wear this as a dress or mini-dress with a tee or camisole underneath. If you like jeans, or jean shorts, consider the styles that are ripped, with holes or “X’s”. Hey, whatever it takes to stay cool as possible!
- If you’re into hats, they may do the trick for outdoor events. Personally, I love sport hats to keep me a tad bit cooler and protect from excess sun exposure. Also, for the ladies, breezy sunhats or stylish brims may add the perfect finishing touch to any outfit.
Send Jimmy some of your fashion inquiries for outdoor events. Last year, he launched his debut fashion line and show in Houston. Catch Jimmy at some of the nation’s premiere fashion events, such as the New York and LA Fashion shows. Within the next 5 years, this 17 year old has a vision for a full fashion line, making his own clothes, and partnering with high-end retailers like Gucci and Louis Vuitton.
Connect with Jimmy Burner here!