Whether they were stay-at-home moms or switched careers, these women followed their passion and are enjoying their second acts in the dazzling world of fashion accessories. Get inspired by their courageous, entrepreneurial leaps of faith.
Jill Haber’s passion for design was sparked early on, thanks to plenty of perusing through her grandmother’s fashion treasures. After a successful career in advertising and book publishing, Haber finally launched her exotic skin handbag collection, and is already a member of the illustrious Accessories Council and counts Brooke Shields and Alyssa Milano as fans. The mom of two’s motto is, “Life is short, wear your bags,” and this bagista couldn’t agree more!
Jill Haber, available at Chuckies, 1052 Lexington Avenue, NYC, JillHaber.com
- Andrew in Black Bean – $1,695
- Charles in Oro Del Sol – $2,195
- William in Hologram – $1,850
Crafting with the most exquisite stones and metal, Colette Steckel is one of Mexico’s most renowned jewelry designers. In fact, she’s been creating masterpieces for the past 15 years in her own workshop in Downtown Mexico City. But this busy mom of three, who travels half the year to get inspiration, didn’t fully launch her company until her youngest turned 3. For spring 2014, her Africa collection sprang from a two-month voyage to that majestic continent.
- Colette, available at London Jewelers stores, ColetteJewelry.com
- Kuger in 18-karat black gold with diamonds – $8,725
- Limpo in 18-karat black gold with black diamonds – $6,600
DESIGNS BY MILLO JEWELRY
Jewelry designer and shop owner, Millo Haddad is a self-professed shopaholic turned workaholic. The mother of four initially began her career by selling excess pieces from her personal fashion collection on eBay in 2011, which then morphed into a stand-alone e-commerce website DesignsbyMillo.com. It’s there she sells her fine jewelry alongside brands like Dannijo, Tom Binns and Page Novick.
- Designs by Millo Jewelry, Table and Top, 514 Kings Highway, Brooklyn, NY, DesignsbyMillo.com
- Starburst and Mother of Pearl Earrings – $4,300
- Ruby Bow Earrings – $3,200
- Geometric Sapphire Web Earrings – $3,650
- Feather Earrings – $12,900
- Teardrop Moon Earrings – $4,500
After spending years traveling as a business strategy consultant, Coye Nokes realized she needed shoes to match her globetrotting lifestyle. When she couldn’t find her sole mate, she decided to launch her own brand in the fall of 2009 despite having no design background. From nudes of all shades to key brights like fuchsia and canary, spring 2014 is full of smart sandals and peep-toe pumps you can walk-in for miles (trust me!), as well as classic flats.
Coye Nokes, Calypso boutiques in NYC, CoyeNokes.com
- Mia Peep Toe – $325
- Carolina Sandal – $350
- Alexia Flat Sandal – $250
- Luciana Sandal – $350
- Camila Flat Sandal – $275
- Alessandra Sandal – $325
- Natalia Sandal – $295
- Ana Flat – $285