The warmer weather calls for easy desserts, highlighting the freshest fruit of the season. In this seasonal recipe, sugar cookies serve as the base for this easy, one-bite dessert. Layered with a sweetened cream cheese filling and topped with fresh berries, these cookies will be the hit of your next backyard BBQ!
Yields: 24 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 12-14 minutes
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
Cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces (227 grams) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (60 grams) powdered sugar
- ¼ cup (60 grams) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Spray the cups of two 12-cup mini muffin tins with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Stop the mixer, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and then add in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute until well combined. With the mixer off, add in salt and flour. Mix on low just until no dry spots of flour appear.
- Using a small cookie scoop, measure the dough into 1-tablespoon-sized balls, roll between your palms into a smooth ball, and place one ball in each cup of the prepared mini muffin tin. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are beginning to brown.
- After removing the baked cookies from the oven, use the bottom of a flat-bottomed shot glass or back of spoon to press down into the center of each cookie making a well in the center. Allow cookies to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese filling. In a mixing bowl, add the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Remove the cooled cookie cups from the muffin tins by gently inserting a butter knife or offset spatula straight down between the edge of the cookie cup and the muffin tin to pop out each of the cups. Place on a cookie sheet or serving platter. Fill each cookie cup with ½-1 teaspoon of cream cheese filling. Top with fruit and serve.
NOTES:If you are making these ahead, store components separately and assemble just prior to serving. Cream cheese filling and fruit should be stored separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Baked and cooled cookie cups can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to four days.
For more recipes, visit kickassbaker.com or @kickassbaker on Instagram and Pinterest.
LIVE YOUR MOST BELLA LIFE!
BELLA Magazine is a national subscription- and newsstand-based lifestyle publication offering a curated guide to fashion, beauty, health, philanthropy, arts and culture, cuisine, celebrities, and entertainment.
At BELLA, we spotlight the ideal that Life Is BEAUTIFUL!
Don’t miss a beat! Subscribe + #follow @bellamag.co!