When we think of Summer, we can’t help thinking of a night with family and friends barbecuing. So, it’s only fitting that July is National Grilling Month! “Nobody wants to fuss much – especially in the kitchen. Anyone can and should make the most of barbecue season,” said the editor in chief of Kosher.com, and we couldn’t agree more! Kosher.com. is a website where people can go share some their kosher cooking ideas. Whether you’re a hamburger or hotdog person, or even a vegetarian, you’re sure to find some tips and recipes that will make your barbecue easier, and help take it to the next level!
Don’t miss a beat! Click HERE to become a BELLA Insider!
If you’re looking to ramp up your burgers, check out these simple Six 3-Ingredient Burger Recipes
Six 3-Ingredient Burgers (courtesy of Chanie Nayman)
Enhance ground beef with these flavorsome trios.
- Splash of Soy sauce + sprinkle of fresh or dried basil + crushed garlic clove
- Squeeze of ketchup + hefty sprinkle of seasoned salt + splash of soy sauce
- Loads of sautéed onions + fresh parsley + kosher salt
- Diced raw onion + teriyaki sauce + dried mushroom powder (or if you’re not a purist, mushroom soup mix)
- Crispy beef fry + sautéed onions + hefty pinch of Trader Joe’s coffee rub
- Generous squeeze of sriracha + sprinkle of dried ginger+ dollop of Bone Suckin Sauce
Nayman says there’s no need to measure any of these ingredients. Add as much, or as little as you want to make your burgers just the way you like it!
Can’t get hamburgers off your mind? We can’t either! If your hosting a summer party, sliders are a great appetizer that everyone will love! These Garlic Bread Pull-Apart Mushroom Beef Sliders are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Garlic Bread Pull-Apart Mushroom Beef Sliders (courtesy of Sam Adler)
You can use store-bought slider buns, or see recipe for homemade buns.
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 (13-ounce) packages Meal Mart Barbeque Sliders, defrosted
1 medium yellow onion diced small
1 (10-ounce) package button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
1/3 cup Baron Herzog Chenin Blanc or other white wine
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup non-dairy sour cream
salt to taste
- In a large skillet, heat two Tbsp. of olive oil over high heat.
- Add in the sliders, about 5 at a time, and sear 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with the remaining sliders.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add in the chopped onion and ½ tsp. salt. You may need to add in another Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Sauté for 5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté another 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the wine and chicken stock and stir, making sure to break up the bits that may be stuck to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and you have a thick sauce.
- Add in the parve sour cream, stir to combine, and turn off the heat.
For garlic “butter”
3 Tbsp. margarine or Earth Balance melted
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. minced parsley or 2 cubes Dorot Frozen Parsley
In a small pot, melt the margarine or Earth Balance. Add the garlic powder and chopped fresh parsley and stir. Keep on low heat.
- Place slider on bun and top with mushroom sauce.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush tops with “butter.” Serve immediately.
Now, we’re sure some of you hotdog lovers maybe become hamburger fans after these recipes. But, if you’re still not switching sides, make sure to take a peak at Jenna Grunfeld’s twist on the frank in Make Your July 4th BBQ Low-Key Amazing. Also, her “hot dog” bar idea lets every person at your barbecue make the dog of their dreams! At your bar, you can serve regular hotdogs, or beef “bacon” wrapped! Wrap one piece of bacon around each hot dog before throwing it on the grill. Then, create a build-your-own hot dog bar with toppings such as sautéed onions, mushrooms, and diced jalapeño peppers. YUM!
Don’t worry, we didn’t forget about you vegetarians (or any of you veggie lovers)! You already have the grill going, so why not try making a grilled salad?
Grilled Vegetable Salad (adapted from a recipe by Brynie Greisman)
For the salad
1 generous handful of Romaine lettuce leaves, torn into pieces
2 medium zucchinis cut into half circles
Handful of portobello mushrooms or 1 small box button mushrooms, cut up
1½ Tbsp. soy sauce
1 generous tsp. sugar
1 generous shake of garlic powder
1 carrot peeled into strips
½ avocado, cubed (optional)
sushi rice, to taste (see note)
- Prepare sushi rice according to package directions and reserve.
- Place sliced zucchini and mushrooms in a medium-sized container.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, and garlic powder and toss in container until coated.
- Spray vegetables with oil spray and grill for 10-15 minutes until they begin to wilt. Remove from grill and cool.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together until well combined.
For the dressing
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced, or one frozen garlic cube
1 tsp. soy sauce
½ – 1 tsp. sugar
salt to taste
- Place veggies in a large bowl
- Add sushi rice to taste.
- Pour dressing just before serving and toss or serve with dressing on the side.
To make sure your food taste the best it can be, and to keep everyone safe this barbecue season, make sure to take a look at some of these grilling safety tips!
Grilling safety tips
- Clean your grill and trays regularly to avoid flare-ups from grease or fat.
- Never use propane or charcoal grills indoors.
- Keep your grill away from the house, deck, and shrubs.
- Keep decorations away from grill.
- Prevent food poisoning from cross-contamination. Use separate plates and utensils for cooked and uncooked meat, and boil marinades before serving.
- Keep charcoal starter fluid away from children and heat sources.
- If using a gas or propane grill, check for leaks. Turn grill off immediately if you smell gas. If the smell continues, contact the fire department immediately and move away from the grill.
We’ll use any excuse we can to host a barbecue now with all these delicious recipes and tips! Make sure to go explore Kosher.com for even more mouthwatering dishes and amazing ideas! Happy grilling BELLA’s!