By Kimberlee Ho
What better way to kick off your morning than with a muffin that’s healthy and contains gut-friendly kombucha plus everyone’s early morning fave—coffee?! Spread some coffee-infused butter on these breakfast muffins for an extra infusion of your morning Joe!
Yield: 6 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
Coffee-infused butter (optional):
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee
- 2 tablespoons whole coffee or espresso beans (not ground)
Whole wheat coffee muffins:
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup strongly brewed coffee
- 6 ounces plain kombucha (or plain seltzer/sparkling water)
- Optional:In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter or ghee. Immediately add the coffee beans and cover. Set aside to steep while you prepare the muffin batter.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°F). Grease a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and espresso powder. Set aside. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, honey, and brewed coffee until well incorporated. Add mixture to the dry ingredients then pour in kombucha, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Scoop the muffin mixture into the prepared muffin tin. Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes then lower oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) for another 8-10 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of muffin. Toothpick should come out clean or with just a few crumbs stuck to it. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile, strain the coffee beans from the melted butter, pressing on the beans with a spoon or back of a spatula to extract all the butter that you can. Place butter in the fridge until solidified. Spread on muffins and enjoy!
- Wrap cooled muffins in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for two days or in the fridge for up to one week. Freeze individually wrapped muffins for up to three months. Thaw at room temperature or warm gently in the microwave or toaster.
- Store butter in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one month.
For more recipes, visit kickassbaker.com or @kickassbaker on Instagram and Pinterest.
LIVE YOUR MOST BELLA LIFE!
BELLA Magazine is a national subscription- and newsstand-based lifestyle publication offering a curated guide to fashion, beauty, health, philanthropy, arts and culture, cuisine, celebrities, and entertainment.
At BELLA, we spotlight the ideal that Life Is BEAUTIFUL!
Don’t miss a beat! Subscribe + #follow @bellamag.co!